Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Episode #103: I Love Sushi

Coquitlam, $$ (Moderately Priced)
www.ilovesushi2009.ca 

Last Tuesday, my friend Michael, my family, and I went to The Zone Bowling Centre, where I was ecstatic to show off my fantastic bowling skills. It's only $2 a game on Tuesdays, so why not? I forgot how to play without the bumpers raised, so we went for some five-pin bowling, where I managed to get one spare in two games! Feeling high-spirited, I decided to celebrate by dragging everyone to I Love Sushi, which is conveniently located in the same building as the bowling center.


I Love Sushi is popular with bowlers and movie goers (there is a SilverCity right across the street), and it was no surprise that the restaurant was quite busy on a Tuesday evening. Both The Zone Bowling Centre and SilverCity offer deep discounts on Tuesdays. Unfortunately, I Love Sushi does not offer discounts on Tuesdays, but that wasn't much of an issue to us since the prices there are not particularly high to begin with.

Edamame - B-

At the start of our meal, we were presented with a small complimentary bowl of Edamame. The flavour of the Edamame was decent, but I found it a touch too dry.

Tuna Sashimi - C+
Sockeye Salmon Sashimi - B+

Other than all-you-can-eat restaurants, this is literally the only place I have seen where you can get Sockeye Salmon Sashimi for less than a buck a piece. The Tuna Sashimi was cut into large pieces, but it was quite firm in texture. The Sockeye Salmon Sashimi, however, was softer than the tuna and had a nice sweet flavour.

Prawn Tempura - C

Michael does not eat tempura unless it's part of a roll, and he was definitely not enticed to try it after seeing my reaction. Although the prawns themselves tasted decent, they were surrounded by a thick, heavy layer of batter that was as crunchy as a burnt pizza crust. However, since my sister was fine with the thick batter, I didn't have to be the garbage can.

Rock & Roll - C+

The Rock & Roll consisted of a Dynamite Roll topped with smoked salmon. I liked the sweet smoked salmon on top of the roll, but the batter on the tempura yam and tempura prawn was terrible. Eating this roll reminded me of eating a seeded mandarin orange - mostly soft with those few annoying hard parts that I want to spit out but am too lazy to. One of us ended up eating the slice of cucumber with all the wasabi in it by accident (that didn't go very well). 

TREO Roll - B

Ahh yes, the TREO Roll. There's no better experience than thinking about your beautiful Port Mann Bridge crossing fees while enjoying your sushi. This roll came with tuna tataki on top of a California Roll. Although it wasn't first-class, I still enjoyed the seared tuna on top for its lightly grilled flavour. I found the roll slightly too acidic in taste due to the addition of lemon juice. It would be nice if they provided a slice of lemon on the side instead.

Teriyaki Chicken - B+

Of course, we needed to order my dad's favourite dish, the Teriyaki Chicken. My dad and I both enjoyed the chicken, which was tender with a slight crispiness. The sauce was quite savoury and went well with the chicken, and the amount of sauce was just right. 

Honey Roll - A

The hit of the evening was the Honey Roll, which came with avocado, crab, yam, and baked scallop. The creamy, cheesy layer on top had a delicious, harmonized sweetness, and the process of baking the roll with the sauce helped to alleviate some of the dryness I experienced with the other rolls. There was also a subtle spicy kick, which I enjoyed, and the baked scallop was delightfully sweet and soft.

Despite the fact that the restaurant was relatively busy, there was adequate service throughout our meal. The menu has a very good variety of items, and the food comes out in a timely manner. There are better and cheaper options nearby, but this place remains popular due to its convenient location.

Click to add a blog post for I Love Sushi on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment